Making the decision to repair or replace your roof is one that every homeowner dreads — and for good reason. Replacing your roof is an investment, and it is an investment that most people are not excited to make any sooner than they have to. Fortunately, there are often options for repairing your roof that can help you avoid the need for a full replacement. And if you do need to replace your roof, you can take comfort in the fact that a new roof should last you 20 years or more.
So the question is, do you need to repair or replace your roof? The answer depends on a number of factors. Read on to get a better idea of how to make your decision.
How to Decide If You Should Repair or Replace Your Roof
Before getting into specific advice, it is worth clarifying that every situation is different. While you can get general information on roof repair and replacement, it is important to understand that the average person can miss a lot when looking at their roof. You may be staring at a significant problem but not realize it — which is why if you have any doubts about the state of your roof, you should contact a roof repair professional and get a second opinion.
Things You Can Repair on Your Roof
Minor issues with a roof can usually be repaired fully by a roof repair professional. These kinds of issues include:
- Missing shingles. If you see one or more shingles missing from your roof, you should replace them as soon as possible. Even a single missing shingle can allow water to penetrate to the underlayment and lead to deterioration. All components of the roof need to be in good repair to seal out the elements. Keep in mind that the shingles you replace will not match the appearance of the existing shingles, so the repair will be noticeable.
- Small leaks along flashing. One or two small leaks along the flashing may be fairly easy to repair with the right sealant. The key is to only attempt this kind of repair if the leak is small and isolated. If there are many leaks, or the leak is major, you may find that trying to seal them only puts a very short term Band-Aid on a major problem
Issues That Indicate a Need for Roof Replacement
Major issues with your roof are often better fixed through a roof replacement than a roof repair. A roof is a carefully designed system of interlocking components that seals out moisture and the elements. Whenever any of these components begin to fail, it typically means that the full roof needs to be replaced. Trying to repair one individual component, like just replacing the shingles, will not address the wear that has affected the other components, like the underlayment.
A roof replacement may be needed if any of the following are occurring:
- Significant accumulation of granules in the gutters. The granules that coat your roofing shingles serve several purposes. One of them is to indicate when the shingles are failing. The breakdown of the shingle material will cause the granules to fall off, and they will accumulate in your gutters. Once they are gone, the shingles will start to break down much more quickly.
- Sagging in the roof. A noticeable sag in the roof indicates the breakdown of the structure beneath the roofing tiles, most likely because moisture has penetrated the roof and caused the wood underneath to break down. A sagging roof should be fixed by a professional as soon as possible to avoid serious problems caused by moisture penetration into the structure.
- A roof that is nearing its age limit, typically 20 years or so. Most roofs are not designed to last for more than 20 years, although there are some roof types that can last longer, like slate and metal. If your roof is nearing 20 years of age, it may need to be replaced within the near future.
Get the Opinion of an Expert
Your roof is the first line of defense against the elements. If you notice signs of damage or wear and tear, it is a good idea to have it examined by a roofing professional. At Bird’s Eye Roofing, we pride ourselves on providing Atlanta and its surrounding areas with a professional and trustworthy experience. If you are in need of a roof replacement, repair, inspection, or an estimate, we will guide you every step of the way, keeping you informed and ensuring the process runs smoothly. For more information about how Bird’s Eye Roofing can help you, contact us to speak to one of our team members and schedule a consultation.